December 13, 2008

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL


This movie is straight doo-doo. It has the IQ of Independence Day, but without any of the fun.

People do stupid, pointless, and illogical things just to move the trite little "message-movie" plot (go green or aliens will destroy you!!). Keanu is wooden and uninteresting (yes, I know that's like saying water is wet) and Jennifer Connelly is likewise. Jaden Smith is a cutie, but he's clearly a benefactor of nepotism. He's not Jake Lloyd-awful, though. He does show traces of that natural charisma from the family genepool.

Just the fact that this film was even made annoys me. It's obvious the Hollywood machine just thought to cash in on a known property, a classic, without regard for the quality of the final "re-imagined" product. That shows real contempt for the viewing audience and the original filmmakers, while still looking to make that easy buck.

Please, don't fall for it. Don't enable more easy, crap-remakes to be greenlit.

The audience I saw this with laughed derisively and left quickly, a millisecond before the credits began to roll.

Check the original instead. I believe it's playing on AMC.

PARENTS: Except for the fact that it sucks, it's fine for kids.

7 comments:

  1. I hated it. It was pretty bad. I just don't know what they were thinking on this one...it failed on so many levels.

    Horrible script, bad ending and questionable acting. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @The Triumvirate

    You speak truth.

    See the last five words in the third paragraph in answer to your question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually had a lot of fun with it, but to say it's good would be a stretch. It lacks ANY of the intelligence of the original, but I had to admit to getting a thrill out of the giant robot/alien eradicating everything that tried to destroy him. That stuff was great for an unabashed geek like myself. We're about to talk about it on our show in just a few minutes, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I opted instead to watch the original on Friday night. I'm glad that I did. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Nods*

    Your pic sums it up best. Really wish I had skipped this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:36 PM

    This tripe was boring with a capital B and really Hollywood if you are going to remake a good film into this junk DON'T put in little 'messages' to compensate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:35 PM

    Hello. Great job. I did not expect this on a Wednesday. This is a great story. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

As always, I appreciate all comments whether you agree or disagree. Just do not be vague, spammalicious, or disrespectful.

Trolling will get you deleted.

Thanks. :)